Sunday, September 9, 2007
Picasso Wilson
We were informed by Lucy's primary teacher that she has an exceptional talent with drawing. Apparently she's really good for her age. I guess we'll have to nurture this. Any ideas other than "ok, here are some markers, lets have drawing time!"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








6 comments:
I personally don't believe in coloring books, for that very reason. My kids get copies of coloring book pages during General Conference week-end, and that's about it, and the ones we have are VERY detailed and very cool, like "Victorian Homes of New England" and stuff like that. More like adult coloring books. Otherwise they have always used their imagination to draw their own pictures, and that has created (so far) five incredible artists. They all draw very well because they have always had to create their own pictures to color :) The scenes they have created on paper are amazing. Anyway, I had heard similar things from other parents who generally don't use coloring books, and now I believe them. But I DO still very much like our coloring books that are very detailed, and my kids look forward to them during Conference, but then they soon tire of them, and draw their own anyway. There's my two cents. Works for us!
I remember a book that Heather and I once found in mom and dad's bottom drawer. We traced the sketches, drew our own renditions... Mom and Dad still aren't happy about that :)
as soon as I have a child big enough to draw, I'll give you my two cents...if it happens within this lifetime. Le sigh.
Ah yes... the infamous tracings. I remember them well.
I think that there are two things that can easily be taught to small children to further any artistic gift they may have. Teach them perspective and how light makes shading. How light effect an object. It takes 5 minutes to teach. Take a flashlight and an orange and walk around the orange. Let them see how shadows form when the light hits it on a side. I wish someone had spent some time with me when I was young and had expressed artistic abilities. But like many talents I had as a child. They dried up and blew away.
good idea mom. I'll do that today!
Audrey is quite the little artist as well. We've nurtured that by providing her with a ton of different art supplies: paint, watercolors, pencils, crayons, markers, chalk, etc. We also make sure she has lots of different kinds of paper in different colors and all sorts of things to work with like tape, glue, scissors, stickers, etc. She has one of those rubbermaid things with multiple drawers that is on wheels she calls her "art caddy." It's amazing to see what she comes up with! Kids' imaginations are amazing - just allow her the freedom to do whatever she wants with it and she'll gain confidence in her ability to produce beautiful art. :)
Post a Comment