Thursday, October 11, 2007

Necessity is the mother of invention

The other day were in town at dinner time, so we stopped at Mcdonalds. Emma and Lucy each got a happy meal. Usually the happy meal toys are fine. You know, tiny teddy bears, plastic animals, etc. Well, not this time. I don't know about you, but I wasn't very happy with this particular toy. What on earth makes Mcdonalds think that a girl dressed like that is ok for little kids! How am I supposed to teach my girls to dress modestly when their toys show WAY too much skin. I decided then and there that I am not going to let my girls dress their dolls in clothes I wouldn't want them to wear. Well, not in a mood to start a fight with my darling girls, I decided to take matters into my own hands. A little bit of black permanent marker seemed to do the trick. It's still wasn't perfect, but it was MUCH better. I presented the newly clothed toys to Lucy and Emma proclaiming "LOOK! She's modest now! Isn't that great!". Lucy burst out into a beautiful grin and said "Now she's not showing too much skin here and here and here!" She was so pleased that I gave their barbies shirts and I think I'll attack the polly pockets this weekend.

Before



After

8 comments:

Heather B said...

AWESOME!!!!! And SO important to start early on, their toys included! Way to go!

*Lyndsey said...

That is so cool...I would have never thought of that!

Megan B said...

Love it! She looks way better :)

Kim said...

Right on - I feel the same way. Barbies have been banned from my house because I'm really uncomfortable with a fully developed, naked woman lying around my house. I'm probably too extreme on that issue, but I love what you did with the happy meal toy! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you!!!
It is so hard to ensure your daughter's (and son's too) develop a good body image with that kind of crap going around.
Oh and by the way--I love your scrapbooking pages adn your other blog.

Anonymous said...

Send those pictures to Ronald! :)

Kailey said...

Hey Courtney! I was bouncing around other blogs and found yours. I just have to say, HOOOORAY for you! I think what you did to that doll was perfect, and it still looks great. I myself stopped letting my family eat at McDonalds for multiple reasons(though I have slipped since becoming preggers, and have NEEDED some of their french fries). Anyway, I really commend you for your example! And how do you do that cool scrapbooking? Is it all done on a computer and sent out for print or something??? Very impressed!! You can see our blog at: shakespear-family.blogspot.com

cat said...

love it, my sisters do the same thing!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails